Thursday, June 7, 2012

I'm A Barbie Girl!

Today we arrived right after snack, when all the children were changing in to their clothes.  We were in the little room where their lockers are, so we saw them all come in.  A little girl Yana (she is the one who was crying the other day until I invited her to play frisbee) was at the locker closest to me.  She started changing, and then reached out to hand me something.  She opened her tiny hand, and in it she had a hot pink, plastic, heart-shaped Barbie necklace.  I am thinking she just wants me to look at it, so I admire it and reach out to hand it back to her.  She stands there smiling, but doesn't reach to retrieve it.  After a few moments of awkwardness, I ask her if it's for me.  She nods happily.  I say "спасибо" which means thank you in Russian (pronounced spah-see-ba).  She is beaming with pride, but I am unsure if I am really supposed to take it from her.

I start explaining to our driver that she gave it to me, but I am not sure if I am really supposed to take it.  And then it occurs to me, he must feel like I felt the day the landlord visited....he doesn't speak English and here I am rambling on and on!  He takes it and is holding it when a boy comes up and grabs it.  Our driver gestures that it's fine to let whoever have it, and we get ready to leave.  But Yana boldly walks right up to the boy and takes the necklace back.  She walks over to me and gives it to me again.  I am again unsure of what to do, so I look to the orphanage caregiver for some direction.  She is nodding, waving, and gesturing me out the door.  She's probably just happy for us to go so she can get the kids to focus, but I take that to mean it's okay for me to take the necklace (since that is clearly Yana's intent!)  I thank Yana again on the way out, and I will certainly treasure this necklace.  (So don't be surprised if you see me rockin' the hot pink plastic Barbie heart!)

Yana is a girl my heart goes out to.  She acts tough on the outside, and is often seen to be a little more physical with the kids.  She's got a huge scar, that is obviously not recent, across her forehead.  She has several scrapes and cuts, and I imagine she is one tough cookie!  But the pain in her heart is so evident.  Her feelings are hurt very easily, she is often scowling or looking angry or upset.  And she makes me particularly aware of how hard it is for these children to watch families come time and time again, and leave them behind as they choose some other child.  And I almost feel bad taking the necklace.  As I wonder if she is hoping the right amount of bribing on her part will get me to bring her home.  Again, I have to rest in knowing the Lord has a plan for Yana that is great.  I pray for her protection, and I pray for the opportunity to speak love and light in to her heart.

The generosity of these broken children is so amazing to me.  Willing to give away what few "treasures" they have. So humbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment