Friday, May 25, 2012

Random

A few random thoughts, facts-
  • Our washing machine is broken, and neither of our sinks is really large enough to wash clothes....could get stinky here soon! We do have some Tide packets, so I think I'll just be washing one garment at a time in the kitchen sink (the bathroom sink is way too tiny!)
  • Neither of us has braved the shower in this new apartment yet, but we've been here two days and we'll have to break down soon. I leaned over the shower today and Bill washed my hair for me. Other than that we've been using washcloths and soap to bathe! Bill pried the stopper with a knife this morning, so at least it drains now...I vote he's going in first!
  • Found out by accident that they turn the water off every night here...and for some reason it was off for most of today too! It's kind of like roulette any time you need to use the water, you never know what you're going to get, or if you'll get anything...so entertaining!
  • The TV has several English channels....GodTV, a cooking channel, TheWordTV, BBC World News and ESPN Europe (where they have been playing only soccer up until today when there is bicycling on, which Bill insists is not a "TV sport!")  This is good, because we weren't able to find English channels in Kiev other than the music video channel that rotated a few English videos in every now and then!
  • We had pizza at the "Wal-mart" today, and it tasted so good!!!  I was full and fat and happy!
  • Bill likes to pay with grivna and expects to get change back, but most cashiers don't like to give coins back, so they ask for change from him.  For some reason this irritates Bill to no end!
  • I cut my foot today on the frame of the glass door that seperates the apartment from the kitchen (it's raised in the threshold and my half-asleep self missed lifting my foot all the way!)  We tried to find Bacitracin or Neosporin at the "Wal-Mart" because I forgot to pack any, but it was like a wild goose chase! They didn't have any there, and we had to go to two pharmacies to try and get something.  I ended up with a liquid that my facilitator says should work well.  I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Our facilitator is like a miracle worker getting paperwork done...he is speedy, and efficient, and dealing with several families here in country, and he still has time to answer my random questions about the culture and my incessant questions about our adoption process all while fielding a million phone calls a day!
  • We found Ramen Noodles here...my friend Amy is right, everyone has Ramen!!!!
  • It was beautiful, sunny and summer like here up until today when it is windy, chilly, rainy and expected to stay cool for several days.  Since it's "summer" here, I only packed one pair of long pants and one mid-length sleeve sweater.  We'll see how chilly it gets...might be hitting "Wal-Mart" up for a sweatshirt!
  • The toilet is in it's own little room (the water closet!) and you have to flick the light on and off several times to get it to come on.  The switch is outside the door, and sometimes the light spontaneously goes off while you're in there leaving you effectively stranded in the dark!
  • The deli at the "Wal-Mart" has more meat and cheese selections than I've ever seen in my life...seriously...so many choices, and I don't know what any of those meats are!
  • Driving is much crazier here with lots of passing and switching lanes.
  • I have way too much time on my hands if I can sit and blog about random facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment